Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's raining.

So my reasons for not updating?  Well I'm not entirely comfortable discussing them on the net, but put simply, I was faced with a dilemma that robbed me of whatever motivation there was for writing.  But I think I'm getting over it.  I'm working on the chapter again (and toying around with an idea that could cause general geekery among you all.)  But since I'm SO overdue, here's my chapter preview.  This part is pretty much guaranteed to be left in the posted draft, but I actually deleted a large portion today to purse a better path.

I curled in the sheets of a massive bed that wasn't mine.  I heard patters on the window.  Fat drops of water abused the panes with such gusto that my eye creaked open.  I heard people laugh outside.  At first it was hard for my sleepy-head to grasp why, but then it became clear.

I sat up and tried to blink the sleep from my eyes.

It was raining at Gamath.

I kicked the sheets away and placed my bare feet on the wooden floor, my face turned long with wonder at the sight of the bespeckled glass--the view through which revealed to me indefinite forms that danced and shifted.  I stood, my legs only somewhat affected by my fleeting sleepiness.  I swayed a little as I crossed the room, and the partial light lanced my sensitive eyes.  Forced to squint, I tried to shield my face with a hand, and it was through parted fingers that I saw a phantom drift toward the window.  

They wore only a soaked white nightgown and their auburn hair was left to hang in wet locks about their angular face.  Even through the changing mosaic of rain, I could make out wide cerulean eyes that didn't blink or falter in their stare.

"Elmiryn." I called, hoping she heard me through the glass.

She reached a hand up and placed it on the window.  Her lips moved and I could hear her voice through the rain, but didn't catch what she said.  I shook my head and stepped closer, where I leaned on the window sill for support.  My breath fogged the glass.  "What did you say?"

The woman laughed and shook her head.  She gestured for me to come outside and began to walk away.

I tapped on the glass and tried to call her back, but then decided I was being silly about it.  Rain wouldn't kill me.  I ran to get my shoes and was about to rush out the door when something occured to me.

Elmiryn was standing outside in nothing but her nightgown.

 Wet from head to toe.

I was thinking I'd post the writing exercise I was doing the other day, just for kicks.  You guys get to see Nyx tear me a new one.  Yay!  And I may post that Elmiryn drawing I was doing a while ago.  No it isn't finished, but I said I'd post it...

Okay, that's all I have right now, really.  Here's to hoping I can make it this week!

No comments: