Thursday, October 9, 2008

Swimming With Information

Started working on the new chapter. Sometimes I wish I had someone to critique my work and tell me if my characterizations and narrative choices make any flaming sense. Ah well...who isn't insecure about their work? It seems I'll have a disclaimer filled with excuses for just about every update I ever do, so I guess I'm doomed.

Here's a quick preview of the upcoming installment. Might be different when posted:

When she came outside of the inn, the air was cool and the sky had shifted to a glorious velvet. The merchants were long since packed and gone, only a small crowd of folk wandering here to there taking care of things before they were expected to retreat for the night. The warrior spotted Nyx across from the way, sitting on a basket with her head bowed down and something in her hands. She cantered towards her.


“Hullo there, my kitten in cutie's clothing. What is that you've got there?” Elmiryn chirped. She bent over and tilted her head to one side, her body swaying. “Is it because of what you are that you can read out here with so little light?” the woman asked.


Nyx sighed and stopped reading, her tawny eyes rolling up to glower at her companion.


Elmiryn pouted. “You're still mad at me.” she grumbled asininely.


“That's very astute of you, considering you're head's drowned in ale.” Nyx looked back at her book. “Step back, please. I've got a sensitive nose and you're making my eyes water.”


Elmiryn knelt down with a flop before the girl and blew wisps of hair away from her forehead. “My head isn't swimming just with ale, you know,” she said matter-of-factly. “It's also swimming with information.”


“Lovely. I can just imagine what that would look like.”

No comments: